What's new

Driving The RHO..

Joe86

Founding Member ⚙️
Reaction score
Current Ride
RAM
Ok, let's be honest. How are you planning to drive the vehicle? Will you take it off roading? And break-in period.

I'll start..
RHO will be my daily driver. I plan on treating it nicely for the first 1k miles.. then do an oil change. Once I change the oil, then fun time.. maybe luch control will be used more often.

I'll definitely take it to mild trails. Off road it once in a while. Nothing crazy. I'll basically drive it for what it meant for. Not gonna be a pavement queen.

Mine's gonna be sitting in the garage, will never see any rain mud can go to hell. The repeated abuse it's gonna take are couple bags of groceries and maybe some costco runs. If I'm feeling bold I'll take it to home depot and throw in some 2x4s in the bed. It'll be a true pavement princess.

On a serious note, I am interested in the break in period as I take that seriously. First few hundred miles I vary the rpms no hard acceleration or breaking or towing. I like to change the oil between 500-1k miles

I just watched a video of a guy's brand new hellcat smoking and leaking fluids at 499 miles. He didn't listen to his friends when they told him to take it easy during the break in period. The guy was only focused on getting to 500 miles to unlock track mode lol.

Daily driver - 16 miles round trip miles Monday through Friday. Errands on the weekends. Perfect fat old man vehicle for me.

I like to change the oil between 500-1k miles
I wish I could find it but there was a great article I read explaining the difference between break-in oil and regular oil and how the utilization changed as the US moved a lot of new vehicles towards leasing... if I find it I will share! But regardless of whether the oil these come with is designated as "break in oil" or not I do personally like the idea of a change early on - just did mine (hemi) at 1K miles I figure very small price to pay for potential reward. Though damn the location of that filter was a beast.

After break in, it will be my daily, but I do plan to do some over landing and checking out some trails. We don't have sand dunes in central Texas so it will be awhile before it sees air.

Daily driver. 50-60 miles per day, sometimes more, to a construction site. Towing occasionally to autocross and a track day. I doubt it will ever get any off-roading. :confused:

I just watched a video of a guy's brand new hellcat smoking and leaking fluids at 499 miles. He didn't listen to his friends when they told him to take it easy during the break in period. The guy was only focused on getting to 500 miles to unlock track mode lol.
Missed it by that much.

( that’s a Get Smart reference for everyone that doesn’t recognize it)

Daily driver (I work out of the house), occasional road trips, towing my track car, learning to off-road

I'll be doing everything I can with my truck, from daily driving duty, road trips, parts development and occasional Texas Raptor Run participation. I do about ~20k miles a year on my vehicles. I WOULD like to attempt the Mint 400 with it if I have the proper amount of funds set a side for it.

Don’t forget to change the diffs & transfer case fluids.

Watched a Ram tech do the job on YouTube (TRX) & it’s not too difficult, though he did have the convenience of a lift. Seemed removing a couple skid plates was the biggest challenge.

A claimed Ram tech & TRX owner commented on the video stating that 99% of the TRXs came from the factory with low front diff oil, in his experience at his high volume TRX dealership. Also noticed the condition of some of the fluids varied, depending on where it originated. Remember, the transfer case does vary torque from front to back depending on drive mode, so there has to be some slippage/wear/heat…why not give it the same care as the engine.

I plan to change all the fluids at 1200 miles, except the tranny. That can wait for at least 30K miles. Some say 60-70k miles is fine if no towing.

BTW, I’ve owned two 5.7 Hemi vehicles. The 1st, I followed Jeep’s breakin recommendation…took it easy for 500 miles…didn’t tow for 1200 miles & didn’t change the oil until 7500 miles (actually 2500 miles early). By 30K miles, that sucker was burning oil with blue smoke at start-up. The 2nd, I changed at 1000 miles & no oil burn or Hemi tick thru my entire 50K miles with the truck.

Now, the Hurricane is a different animal…plasma sprayed bores that supposedly don’t “break-in”. I don’t care. Changing the fluids early is cheap insurance, IMHO.

I'll be doing everything I can with my truck, from daily driving duty, road trips, parts development and occasional Texas Raptor Run participation. I do about ~20k miles a year on my vehicles. I WOULD like to attempt the Mint 400 with it if I have the proper amount of funds set a side for it.
How do those Raptor Run guys welcome RAMs to the flock on those drives?

How do those Raptor Run guys welcome RAMs to the flock on those drives?

I've yet to participate in one, but I would assume good ol' back and forth bashing of one another's truck.

I found this video on the TRX forum of a member during a TRR.

I'm not gonna lie...

...she's gonna be mostly a pavement princess.

She'll do some off-roading, but not a lot. My lower back and extreme off-roading are not conducive...

Back