What's new

Oil change..

Joe86

Founding Member ⚙️
Reaction score
Current Ride
RAM
Okay..

When will you do the first oil change? Are you gonna do it yourself or take it to the dealership (considering no dip stick) at least I can hold the dealership liable if anything goes wrong.

First oil change will be around 1k or 2k then every 5k.

Was reading the RHO manual posted on this forum & was surprised to see the SST HO has rather short recommended oil change intervals, at least compared with industry standards. If I recall correctly, 6K was normal conditions…4K was severe conditions.

Can someone find that post & confirm?

Was reading the RHO manual posted on this forum & was surprised to see the SST HO has rather short recommended oil change intervals, at least compared with industry standards. If I recall correctly, 6K was normal conditions…4K was severe conditions.

Can someone find that post & confirm?

SCHEDULED SERVICING — RHO​

The Scheduled Maintenance services listed in this manual must be done at the times or mileages specified to protect the vehicle warranty and ensure the best vehicle performance and reliability. More frequent maintenance may be needed for vehicles in severe operating conditions, such as dusty areas and very short trip driving. Inspection and service should also be done anytime a malfunction is suspected.
The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.
The instrument cluster display will display an “Oil Change Required” message and a single chime will sound, indicating that an oil change is necessary.
Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change indicator message will illuminate.This means that service is required for your vehicle. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).
Note:
  • The oil change indicator message will not monitor the time since the last oil change.Change your vehicle's oil if it has been six months since your lastoil change, even if the oil change indicator message is NOT illuminated.
  • Change your engine oil more often if you drive your vehicle off-road for an extended period of time.
  • Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 6,000 miles (10,000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
An authorized dealer will reset the oil change indicator message after completing the scheduled oil change. If a scheduled oil change is performed by someone other than an authorized dealer, the message can be reset by referring to the steps described under Instrument Cluster Display GUID-9ED1F2D1-94D5-4907-B776-C302F1803C92.html#GUID-9ED1F2D1-94D5-4907-B776-C302F1803C92.

Severe Duty All Models

Vehicles that are operated in a dusty and off-road environment, or predominately at idle or very low engine RPM are known as Severe Duty vehicles. It is recommended that you change engine oil at 4,000 miles (6,500 km)or 350 hours of engine run time.

Source: https://www.mopar.com/ramtrucks/en-...manual.html?year=2025&brand=Ram&model=1500_DT

Okay..

When will you do the first oil change? Are you gonna do it yourself or take it to the dealership (considering no dip stick) at least I can hold the dealership liable if anything goes wrong.

First oil change will be around 1k or 2k then every 5k.
Don’t worry about lack of dipstick…I’m on my 2nd vehicle with electronic oil monitoring. Much better than the old metal rod. Think about it…the computer tells you when the engine is a quart low, so you can take action. In the old days, the metal rod did nothing until the oil pressure light came on & a few seconds later, the engine would rattle to a halt.

Also, the metal rod did not tell you if the oil needed to be up to temp before checking the level. It also didn’t accommodate for checking oil levels on dry sump vehicles, which defies most common sense.

As for oil changes, just drain & refill. I typically add 1 quart less than capacity. Drive around the block gently until oil reaches temp & run the electronic monitor. I’ve rarely needed to add more than another 1/2 quart, if even that much.

Last edited:
Back