What's new

Question about TRX at highway speeds (80+ mph)

MrOCano

Founding Member ⚙️
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Current Ride #2
2021 Tesla Model Y Performance
To our current and former TRX owners on this thread.. I read this post from a current TRX owner:

"From a current TRX owner, the factory wheel/tire size makes highway rides up to 80MPH reasonably stable & comfortable. Above that speed, fast lane changes get a little sloppy & feel unstable due to the sidewall flex combined with suspension float"

Do you all share this experience with fast highway speeds? One of my biggest issues with my Gladiator Mojave is how unstable it feels at 80+ mph on the highway compared to my 2021 F150 XLT! I know the off-road suspension contributes to that but I was just wonder what y'alls experience was.. I am not a speed demon but I find myself going with the flow of traffic at 85 mph A LOT on i75 in Florida... was wondering if you all felt some instability at high speeds in your TRX with the meaty stock wheels and beefy suspension??

To our current and former TRX owners on this thread.. I read this post from a current TRX owner:

"From a current TRX owner, the factory wheel/tire size makes highway rides up to 80MPH reasonably stable & comfortable. Above that speed, fast lane changes get a little sloppy & feel unstable due to the sidewall flex combined with suspension float"

Do you all share this experience with fast highway speeds? One of my biggest issues with my Gladiator Mojave is how unstable it feels at 80+ mph on the highway compared to my 2021 F150 XLT! I know the off-road suspension contributes to that but I was just wonder what y'alls experience was.. I am not a speed demon but I find myself going with the flow of traffic at 85 mph A LOT on i75 in Florida... was wondering if you all felt some instability at high speeds in your TRX with the meaty stock wheels and beefy suspension??
I am in south Florida and can relate - traffic on I-95 'flows' above 80 all the time and I'm curious as well about the ride / handling at these speeds.

I feel like I keep bombarding TRX owners with questions but they are so similar to the RHO that honestly... they are a wealth of knowledge is to what our experience will be =)

My Raptor rides fine above 80 but it’s not on Goodyear tires either

No issues here with that. If you’re feeling floating sensation above 80 my guess they have the suspension in baja mode and forgot to turn it off. Only time i feel the suspension float around is in baja. Also if street suspension feeling like it losing control over 80 mph there is performance setting that really stiffens up the suspension and steering for those high speeds.

I’ve never had an issue of feeling unstable at any speed. And we cruise around in Texas all the time between 80-90 mph.

I know when towing my 7500 lb travel trailer you can feel the trailer transfer its weight back up through the truck a lot in auto mode. You find out real fast that you're not in tow mode that way. Tow mode puts your suspension on performance and really makes a big difference going down the highway.

Last edited:
My TRX feels plenty solid, even up above 100. As others have said above, the default suspension mode is rather floaty, but that’s more of a bounce thing than a drift thing.
I don’t think anyone can say that these trucks handle like a BMW - so take that for what it’s worth.

My TRX feels plenty solid, even up above 100. As others have said above, the default suspension mode is rather floaty, but that’s more of a bounce thing than a drift thing.
I don’t think anyone can say that these trucks handle like a BMW - so take that for what it’s worth.

Well, the TRX owner’s other car is an AMG Mercedes, so he is probably accustomed to a more “buttoned down” ride at high speeds. Still, you can’t cheat physics. A TRX is carrying a lot of weight up high & the tires have lots of sidewall to flex. His suggestion to upgrade to 20” rims & maintain 35” total rim/tire height is well founded if you plan to cruise over 80 MPH.

I think the TRX seems stable at 75+ mph, especially compared to a Gen2 Raptor. I always felt the Raptor would get blown around on the highway, whereas the TRX feels much more planted.

I’ve never had any issues going 80+ on my TRX with stock tires or with 38s. Main issue I have is the damn factory brakes give me PTSD now that my truck weighs around 8k 😂

Back