RHO as a donor

D&Sadventure

Founding Member ⚙️
Reaction score
Current Ride
Raptor
Current Ride #2
Jeep Rubicon w/2.0 hurricane
I wonder if it has occurred to anyone you could buy an RHO at $10,000 off and throw a hellephant in it for the price of a TRX final edition. I’m sure someone is going to do it.

Last edited:
I wonder if it has occurred to anyone you could buy an RHO at $10,000 off and throw a heliphant in it for the price of a TRX final edition. I’m sure someone is going to do it.
It’ll take more than a $30k engine to make that work in the RHO. You’ll have to upgrade the transmission as well. The RHO comes with the 8HP75 transmission, which is barely rated for the RHO horsepower. You’ll need to move up to an 8HP95. Don’t know about the driveshaft on the RHO yet, but I doubt it’s upgraded for high horsepower.

Yes we all know that the transmission is different so is the transfer case, but if you get your calculator back out you will notice it’s a $50,000 dollar difference in price not 30. And they sell the hellephant with the transmission too for a little under 40,000. If you order a base model RHO it’s $60,000 less. We also know there are a lot of other miscellaneous parts it will need. And for most people labor. Just saying someone will do it. Don’t forget the new hurricane engine with trans has good value to sell.

Last edited:
Yes we all know that the transmission is different so is the transfer case, but if you get your calculator back out you will notice it’s a $50,000 dollar difference in price not 30. And they sell the hellephant with the transmission too for a little under 40,000. If you order a base model RHO it’s $60,000 less. We also know there are a lot of other miscellaneous parts it will need. And for most people labor. Just saying someone will do it. Don’t forget the new hurricane engine with trans has good value to sell.
So are you comparing a base Peasant-Edition RHO (at a $10k discount) to a Final Edition TRX at MSRP? That’s hardly a fair comparison.

So are you comparing a base Peasant-Edition RHO (at a $10k discount) to a Final Edition TRX at MSRP? That’s hardly a fair
No go back and read the first post. I said for the price of a final edition TRX. The mention of base was just another opinion. The point was it’s a possibility , but obviously it would not be a project for just anyone here.

Last edited:
So are you comparing a base Peasant-Edition RHO (at a $10k discount) to a Final Edition TRX at MSRP? That’s hardly a fair comparison.
Peasant... So peasants of the peasants compared to TRX owners

Haha, it's all a matter of perspective. I have a Peasant-edition TRX (because it's not a special edition)

I started to ask about that comment too, but I decided I didn’t want to be a part of disrespecting someone just because they didn’t see a need for lvl 1 extras.

The big question is who is going to write the software to make it all work together ??

Not me been out of it too long, but he’s out there somewhere. Not even sure what a crate motor includes. Presumably it would come with Wiring harness, ECM, TCM. We know a lot of little parts and brackets are already available due to the existence of the TRX. It could potentially be a lot easier to do than putting one in a jeep Wrangler or gladiator and that’s been done by a lot of people. Not sure if it would play with the new rumored can network. It’s possible that a hellephant crate is no longer available. People more determined than me put that motor in a lot of different things.

Last edited:
If one wants to throw a Hellaphant or some other crate engine, I would think the smarter and cheaper move would be buying a higher mileage TRX that has the 8HP95 already. Seeing many examples in the $70K range and would be a much easier (cheaper) swap and I am sure cheaper given the harness difference in the RHO. Guessing a 60K mile Hellcat should be worth roughly the same as the HO you would pull out of the RHO.... Personally I would rather a DSR crate and 8HP95 upgrade for my $125K 😎

I started to ask about that comment too, but I decided I didn’t want to be a part of disrespecting someone just because they didn’t see a need for lvl 1 extras.
Its actually not a reference to the options you selected or didn't select. You can have a fully loaded level 2 TRX with every box checked, and it can still be a "peasant edition" if it was not one of the special editions (Launch, Ignition, Havoc, Lunar, Final, etc.). Its just a joke from the TRX forum.

Its actually not a reference to the options you selected or didn't select. You can have a fully loaded level 2 TRX with every box checked, and it can still be a "peasant edition" if it was not one of the special editions (Launch, Ignition, Havoc, Lunar, Final, etc.). Its just a joke from the TRX forum.
I guess it’s one of those “you had to be there” things
And how dare you forget the Sandblast

It’ll take more than a $30k engine to make that work in the RHO. You’ll have to upgrade the transmission as well. The RHO comes with the 8HP75 transmission, which is barely rated for the RHO horsepower. You’ll need to move up to an 8HP95. Don’t know about the driveshaft on the RHO yet, but I doubt it’s upgraded for high horsepower.
Dream killing is the right name. lol. The 8HP75 is a FANTASTIC transmission. One of the best in the industry. My question is, why the heck would you buy an RHO, put a TRX engine in it, for the same price as the final edition?? Just go buy the final edition. Makes no sense at all.

Dream killing is the right name. lol. The 8HP75 is a FANTASTIC transmission. One of the best in the industry. My question is, why the heck would you buy an RHO, put a TRX engine in it, for the same price as the final edition?? Just go buy the final edition. Makes no sense at all.
I mean, he was talking about a Hellephant swap - that's a level above the Hellcat theoretically. But there would be a ton of details to resolve in order to get it all set up properly. For the same money (or slightly less), you could bolt on some parts to a TRX and hit 1000 HP pretty easily. Forget the Final Edition TRX, it's an overpriced special edition that is nothing special (other than the paint colors on some of them).
The RHO isn't the right platform for pursuing 0-60 times or 1/4 mile times unless it's just a "can it be done" quest.

You’re gonna have to read it again nobody said anything about putting a TRX engine in an RHO

You’re gonna have to read it again nobody said anything about putting a TRX engine in an RHO
??? A Hellephant is a “TRX” engine essentially. It’s a Hellcat with a larger supercharger……

??? A Hellephant is a “TRX” engine essentially. It’s a Hellcat with a larger supercharger……
You left out the part about the 426cid. larger bore, longer stroke, lighter weight aluminum block, different larger 3.0L supercharger (opps that’s the one part you mentioned), higher lift camshaft, and the same valve train as the demon motor. Oh and the other 298 horses.

Last edited:
You left out the part about the larger bore longer, stroke, lighter weight aluminum block, different supercharger, higher lift camshaft, and the same valve train as the demon motor..
Ha! Is that important? You are correct, my apologies. So you are simply referring to 6.2L Hellcat based (Redeye, Demon) V8. Hellaphant is a 7.0L and way more built. But I still stand by my preference for a DSR 😂

Again, as I posted in another thread, I personally like the idea of the hurricane motor. As much as I love the TRX I don’t need 700 horse. Opps 702. The RHO In my opinion is a more reasonably set up vehicle, and a better choice for an everyday driver which mine is going to be. The whole purpose of this thread was the possibility, the what if?

Back