What's new

Thoughts on RHO competition - Tundra TRD PRO prove me wrong!

JPILL22

Founding Member ⚙️
Reaction score
Current Ride
22 Rivian R1S, 22 Mercedes GLS AMG pkg
Current Ride #2
12 Tundra SRS quad cab TRD off-road
I was about to pull the trigger on a new Tundra TRD Pro or even better 1794 Limited Saddleback Edition - https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-unveils-2024-tundra-1794-limited-edition-at-state-fair-of-texas/.

For those weekend warriors (like myself) that dont want a "Dad" pickup. TRX was never in the mix as it was overkill and out of the price range for need.

Then I ran across the RHO. Same price point with better performance than the TRD Pro. Tundra has been killing market share for years and I think the RHO is the right price point to gain some back.

Last edited:
I test drove the TRD for shits and grins and eh it just didn't feel right.

I was about to pull the trigger on a new Tundra TRD Pro or even better 1794 Limited Saddleback Edition - https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-unveils-2024-tundra-1794-limited-edition-at-state-fair-of-texas/.

For those weekend warriors (like myself) that dont want a "Dad" pickup. TRX was never in the mix as it was overkill and out of the price range for need.

The tun
Then I ran across the RHO. Same price point with better performance than the TRD Pro. Tundra has been killing market share for years and I think the RHO is the right price point to gain some back.

The Tundra doesn't even hold a candle to the RHO. They are in different categories in performance and capabilities. My neighbor has one and it a "ehh" truck.

The Tundra doesn't even hold a candle to the RHO. They are in different categories in performance and capabilities. My neighbor has one and it a "ehh" truck.
Yea the Tundra suspension is meh all around, something that would need to be upgraded. Realistically the Raptor is the only direct competitor.

The Silverado ZR2 might be fun with a super charger on it.

Everything else aside, the TRD looks awful.

Tbh.. buy what makes you enjoy the ride. If you feel that the Tundra is nice and you can see yourself enjoy it, then buy it.

RHO vs TRD pro are in two different categories.

An objective opinion…not mine…ha!

When the latest new Tundra was released, Car and Driver evaluated it and spoke with the engineers. The engineers’ target? Was it:

A) make a truck better than Ford, Ram, Chevy, GMC?

B) make a truck better than the prior Tundra?

To save face, they said Ford/Ram/GM buyers tend to stick with the American brands. So, their goal was to please existing Tundra owners with improvements over the last gen Tundra.

Car and Driver’s take? They couldn’t beat Ford/Ram/GM, so they “punted”, delivering a truck that was only slightly better than its predecessor which, in and of itself, was far behind the competition.

Yea the Tundra suspension is meh all around, something that would need to be upgraded. Realistically the Raptor is the only direct competitor.

The Silverado ZR2 might be fun with a super charger on it.
I test drove the ZR2 it was nice but I decided to stick with Ram.

Appreciate the feedback. Tough as I never go off-road but I need the bonus depreciation write off this year. Trying to convince myself I need the RHO for dump runs.

I have a 2012 Tundra 5.7 V8 that is bulletproof. Never needed to bring it in for anything (though it’s starting to look dated). Won’t drive it for weeks and fires right up. Shit I haven’t washed it in 9 years and only change the oil every 2 yrs. Bought it used for $26k and Carvana will give me $21,800 as off this morning.

Hopefully if I put a RHO deposit down this week I can take delivery by year end. Fingers crossed.

Just out of curiosity, what's considered a "Dad" truck?

I test drove the ZR2 it was nice but I decided to stick with Ram.
I am gonna test drive a couple. Concerned about the suspension not really being upgradeable or more the fact why buy it if I need to slap on fox 3.0s to fit 35s/37s on it. At that point might as well try and find a trail boss with a 6.2 in it or look at coyote F150s again

I am gonna test drive a couple. Concerned about the suspension not really being upgradeable or more the fact why buy it if I need to slap on fox 3.0s to fit 35s/37s on it. At that point might as well try and find a trail boss with a 6.2 in it or look at coyote F150s again
I test drove the zr2 and TRD Pro as well. Both great trucks, and very upgradable. The ZR2 has a “Jackal” upgrade from Pax Power which is also pretty cool. But I stuck with the Ram for a trade-in/upgrade. I just really hope we get news soon, because the crickets have me looking at other trucks rn.

I have a 2022 Tundra TRD Pro actually. Plan on switching to the RHO (already ordered). It'll be my first American vehicle.

I've owned the TRD for almost 2 years now. Never had any issues. Standard maintenance. The recent recall doesn't apply to the hybrid engines. I genuinely love it. It has all the bells and whistles and it's a Toyota, I know it's reliable. I have 35s on it and a leveling kit and I average 14 mpg (who cares about this anyways). Looks great and I always seem to get compliments on it when I'm out in public.

Pretty smooth ride and has a lot of power for a daily (437 hp, V6 twin turbo).

Literally only one con about it. The turning radius. It's awful. It's easier for me to backup into parking spaces than to turn into one. I can barely make a u-turn, depending on how wide the road is. I'll sometimes have to three point turn to follow through.

Besides this, it'll be bittersweet to let this one go but I'm excited for the RHO.
1724676585996.jpeg
1724676605656.jpeg

Sounds similar to the corvette club
Haha yes. I would love to buy the new gen corvette if it was not a corvette. You know what I am saying? The performance, price, even looks are unbeatable at the price point.

I have a 2022 Tundra TRD Pro actually. Plan on switching to the RHO (already ordered). It'll be my first American vehicle.

I've owned the TRD for almost 2 years now. Never had any issues. Standard maintenance. The recent recall doesn't apply to the hybrid engines. I genuinely love it. It has all the bells and whistles and it's a Toyota, I know it's reliable. I have 35s on it and a leveling kit and I average 14 mpg (who cares about this anyways). Looks great and I always seem to get compliments on it when I'm out in public.

Literally only one con about it. The turning radius. It's awful. It's easier for me to backup into parking spaces than to turn into one. I can barely make a u-turn, depending on how wide the road is. I'll sometimes have to three point turn to follow through.

Besides this, it'll be bittersweet to let this one go but I'm excited for the RHO.
View attachment 481View attachment 482
I do like the Tundra. Love the TRD grill over the stupid logo. In CT there was always a vibe to specific brands, maybe due to marketing? Dodge/Ram has not always had the best. Many would say (not me of course), they are unreliable, trashy with some terrible looking aftermarket lift, and for rednecks.

Question, why the switch to the RHO? What were your pros and cons? Your TRD looks great, though not a huge fan of the camo interior.

I do like the Tundra. Love the TRD grill over the stupid logo. In CT there was always a vibe to specific brands, maybe due to marketing? Dodge/Ram has not always had the best. Many would say (not me of course), they are unreliable, trashy with some terrible looking aftermarket lift, and for rednecks.

Question, why the switch to the RHO? What were your pros and cons? Your TRD looks great, though not a huge fan of the camo interior.
I use to literally get a new car every single year lol. Sometimes twice a year. This is the longest I've kept a vehicle in a minute. I just wanted a switch up as I am "due" for a new one. I was going to get a new 37 package regular Raptor or a used TRX but couldn't pass up on the deep discount on a brand new RHO.

View attachment 481View attachment 482
Looks really nice!! westcott lift? if yes, how do you like it?

Back