Founding Member ⚙️
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 Ram 1500 Laramie Black Widow
Current Ride #2
2016 Jaguar F-Type R
Military
Air Force veteran
Anyone able to get a trade in value during their order process? Wondering if you are at a disadvantage if trading something in. I have a 2022 Laramie with Black Widow upfit.

Attachments

• IMG_0764.jpeg
    IMG_0764.jpeg
    487.3 KB · Views: 65
Anyone able to get a trade in value during their order process? Wondering if you are at a disadvantage if trading something in. I have a 2022 Laramie with Black Widow upfit.
I did a pre trade with my order, I had a 23 power wagon that I traded, but I also have my work truck and my TRX to drive around while waiting. I know most dealers won’t give you a trade value at time of order, just due to so many things can change in the meantime.

I did a pre trade with my order, I had a 23 power wagon that I traded, but I also have my work truck and my TRX to drive around while waiting. I know most dealers won’t give you a trade value at time of order, just due to so many things can change in the meantime.
Yea values are changing so fast. Think Mark Dodge said when it's being shipped is a good time to check.

I did however trade in my power wagon back in 2020 when I ordered a Raptor. Didn't realize trade values were gonna keep going up. If only I had a time machine

Yea values are changing so fast. Think Mark Dodge said when it's being shipped is a good time to check.

I did however trade in my power wagon back in 2020 when I ordered a Raptor. Didn't realize trade values were gonna keep going up. If only I had a time machine
That’s a good point, and if it was back then I probably would have held onto it, but I have a strong feeling that the market is going to continue to trend down for a bit, so I figured my best bet was to do the pre trade while the truck only had 6k on the clock.

The way we look at is there is no way to guarantee the value from now through time of delivery. The biggest factor to that is actually market conditions, what are vehicles actually selling for, as opposed to your individual vehicle's miles on the odometer. Mileage is easy to estimate or adjust for. So we do what is called "TODAY" value meaning this is NOT an estimate of what it will be worth at an unknown delivery date, but rather if you wanted to bring it to us today, this is what it's worth.

Now we usually recommend don't even think too much about that until the new vehicle is in transit or at least production. That way you know you're about 3-5 weeks out so EVEN STILL the value is not lockable, you have a closer range of real life. BUT you still have time to react if you choose not to trade in.

You end up balancing the difference between trading and selling on your own considering
- Distance/time/cost to get the trade vehicle to the dealership
- Sales tax savings, if your state affords that
- Time savings compared to selling it outright on your own
- Market conditions in your area versus dealership location
- Vehicle fit for dealership/location (no one is looking for a Prius at Mark Dodge...)

Ultimately you have to make the best choice for what makes sense for you - but you won't have all the info until the new truck is nearly ready.

Back