Anyone plan on towing with their RHO?

myoung84

Founding Member ⚙️
Reaction score
Current Ride
2020 EcoDieeel
Current Ride #2
2020 Charger Scat Pack
Considering either an RHO, Rebel, or Laramie, all about the same price as I've configured. Also considering buying a camper next year, something around 28-32', but would probably come in close to the max tow capacity. It will mostly be left at the in-laws lake property, but might see a few hundred miles a year on the road. Any concerns maxing this truck out? Airbags would probably be a must...

I definitely plan on towing with it but only occasionally. Maybe a 100 mile round-trip. My gen one raptor does just fine in fact I’ve made several 1500 to 2000 mile round-trip with it towing. Never any problem. I do believe the hurricane motor could potentially get worse fuel mileage towing than the 6.2 in the raptor. At any rate, I’ll be keeping my raptor for back up.

I tow about once every month or two now, but only 3-5k lbs, hauling my Rzr, picking up mulch etc. My EcoDiesel is handling it just fine now. I do imagine once that turbo spools up it will drink the fuel.

I plan to every month or so if I get back into autocross a little more seriously. A little under 5,000 lbs. total with car and aluminum trailer.

My current rig.
33 ft camper about 6200 lbs dry and 7500 with my gear.

Attachments

• IMG_0159.jpeg
    IMG_0159.jpeg
    692.2 KB · Views: 119
Gassers run hot towing. Gassers with turbos run really hot towing. Talking oil temps.

Not saying you can’t tow with an RHO, but if you plan to tow regularly and over 3500lbs, RHO may not be the best choice. A better choice for those who regularly tow & want an off-road oriented truck? Chevy 2500 ZR2 with Duramax. It has off-road chops & can tow like a tractor! Plus, the Duramax is a gem.

I almost bought one, but its empty ride is quite stiff & I rarely tow these days. And, it’s GM. I’ve been burned too many times by crappy GM products. Others may have better experiences to share.

Last edited:
I plan to tow my SxS 6 or 7 times a year. It may be 4,500 pounds at most. I don’t expect it to struggle too much but I’m not sure how level it will be.

Plan on towing a 6,000 LB boat, mostly going to be a 10min drive from the house to the launch ramp, occasionally an hour or two hours away to other lakes. Was considering the Rebel until the RHO was announced. With the capacity around 8K lbs, I'm not worried about it.

All 2500s ride like shit when they're empty, the suspension is setup to ride smooth when loaded, and for those reasons, I'm out.

Considering either an RHO, Rebel, or Laramie, all about the same price as I've configured. Also considering buying a camper next year, something around 28-32', but would probably come in close to the max tow capacity. It will mostly be left at the in-laws lake property, but might see a few hundred miles a year on the road. Any concerns maxing this truck out? Airbags would probably be a must...
If you plan on towing a 32' trailer, I would get the highest payload truck. That being said, if you load up on options, payload goes down. I would go Laramie with air suspension.

What is the actual towing capacity of the RHO? I see alot of specs saying 8380 lbs, but if you go to rams website they mention 9920 lbs and 10770 lbs on the RHO build page and overview. Anyone know what it actually is? 8380 seems a bit low IMO, what would be the limiting factor vs. something like our current 2020 Rebel that is rated at like 11k?

What is the actual towing capacity of the RHO? I see alot of specs saying 8380 lbs, but if you go to rams website they mention 9920 lbs and 10770 lbs on the RHO build page and overview. Anyone know what it actually is? 8380 seems a bit low IMO, what would be the limiting factor vs. something like our current 2020 Rebel that is rated at like 11k?
I believe the suspension and transmission are the limiting factors because the Rebel's suspension is different and the transmission may be as well.

Back