Auto 4WD explained

We are talking about two different conversations. I relayed the difference between AWD and Auto 4WD off-camera. I should have recorded that part, apparently. It was a separate conversation. That's what I'm referring to.
 
The best write-up I have encountered on our transfer case..

 
This may be the key to understanding this confusing topic (copy/pasted):

“The key difference between full-time 4WD and AWD is that full-time 4WD vehicles have a locking center differential that’s built into the transfer case. When a driver engages it, the center differential locks the front and rear drive shafts together so that they turn at the same speed thus delivering equal amounts of torque to the front and rear wheels. In general, a full-time 4WD vehicle with the center differential locked acts like a part-time 4WD vehicle when the 4WD is engaged.”

Soooo…the RHO is not AWD…it is full-time 4WD. This has absolutely nothing to do with 4WD Auto. It has to do with the transfer case’s ability to lock the front & rear axles together, which the RHO can do! When unlocked, our trucks behave like an AWD vehicle with a fixed torque slit that is drive mode dependent.
 
Last edited:
I didn’t watch the whole video but skimming around I didn’t see if it explained what conditions you would want to be in 4wd high.
 
I didn’t watch the whole video but skimming around I didn’t see if it explained what conditions you would want to be in 4wd high.
It was mentioned…I think the engineer said something like use 4WD high “on loose surfaces”.

Bottom line, if there is any solid footing (which would potentially cause wheel chatter/hop because the axles are locked together in 4WD high) use 4WD Auto.

So, if you are on completely snow covered roads, 4WD high. If there is some cleared pavement and some snow cover, 4WD auto.
 
@testerdahl looks like we need a new video with off-road cases; 1,2,3,4 test rollers and mud and donuts and iterating between transfer case settings.
 
Dude…he was explaining 4WD Auto in most full-size American pickups, including most 4x4 Rams…not the same as TRX/RHO. He could have been clearer, as he switched back & forth a bit.

That may have been intentional on his part, as AWD does not carry the same off-road “credibility” as 4x4 in the marketing world.

Done.
Let me start by saying I don’t currently own a RHO, but I spent some time trying to understand this as I’m planning to purchase a RHO and NO 2WD ability was surprising to me. When I look at how the auto4wd in the RHO works, it’s 100% an AWD system and it’s very similar to BMW xdrive. When in auto4WD, wet clutches in the TC are controlled electronically to vary the amount of torque being sent to the front wheels (literally the same system as BMW). He said in the video during normal driving it is very close to 0 and during wheel spin events it will be up to XX% depending on which driver mode you are in. I don’t understand how anyone could argue that it’s not AWD when driving in that mode. Maybe I’m missing something 🤷‍♂️
 
Let me start by saying I don’t currently own a RHO, but I spent some time trying to understand this as I’m planning to purchase a RHO and NO 2WD ability was surprising to me. When I look at how the auto4wd in the RHO works, it’s 100% an AWD system and it’s very similar to BMW xdrive. When in auto4WD, wet clutches in the TC are controlled electronically to vary the amount of torque being sent to the front wheels (literally the same system as BMW). He said in the video during normal driving it is very close to 0 and during wheel spin events it will be up to XX% depending on which driver mode you are in. I don’t understand how anyone could argue that it’s not AWD when driving in that mode. Maybe I’m missing something 🤷‍♂️
AWD = the vehicle sends torque to all 4 wheels without your input. The system controls sending the torque and various systems like torque vectoring accomplish this through equipment like the wet clutches you mention.

4WD = you control which tires are engaged and where the torque is split and how much power you need through different gear sets in the two-speed transfer case.

In an off-road situation, the AWD system will spin the tires looking for traction and try to get itself out of trouble. In a 4WD system, you can control the torque and drive yourself out of the problem. You can also add features like locking rear differential, a true locking diff, not the electronic AWD equivalent, to really command the torque to climb out of a situation.

I've driven both a unibody SUV and a truck in a similar off-road situation. It is a completely different experience even with the best AWD system on the planet. The AWD system will spin the tires looking for traction on hills. The 4WD system won't.

Now that's also a by-product of the beefier off-road tires found on trucks, as well as the heavier weight of trucks versus SUVs. It is all those factors combined make a big difference. You can't just argue AWD vs 4WD without taking all the factors into consideration.

The drive modes help assist the driver by presetting the truck for different scenarios. It is a driving aid. You still have to do the driving and you still have manual control over the 4WD system as needed. Sure, if you think turning on a drive mode will magically make you a rock-crawling expert, be my guest. I'm sure somebody would love to film that and get it on camera. A lot of Cybertruck owners learned that lesson.

No 2WD ability shouldn't be surprising IMO. It is a purpose-built truck.

Ram has had an auto-4wd setup going back at least a decade if not longer. People want to say it causes extra wear or tear or destroys MPG. Ok. It's been a decade or longer and you rarely see people getting new transfer cases for one. For two, it is on 35" tires with a lifted suspension. Pretty sure that does a lot more to "destroy" MPG than the full-time 4WD. Besides, if you are concerned about MPG with the RHO, you are shopping for the wrong truck.
 
Last edited:
AWD = the vehicle sends torque to all 4 wheels without your input. The system controls sending the torque and various systems like torque vectoring accomplish this through equipment like the wet clutches you mention.

4WD = you control which tires are engaged and where the torque is split and how much power you need through different gear sets in the two-speed transfer case.

In an off-road situation, the AWD system will spin the tires looking for traction and try to get itself out of trouble. In a 4WD system, you can control the torque and drive yourself out of the problem. You can also add features like locking rear differential, a true locking diff, not the electronic AWD equivalent, to really command the torque to climb out of a situation.

I've driven both a unibody SUV and a truck in a similar off-road situation. It is a completely different experience even with the best AWD system on the planet. The AWD system will spin the tires looking for traction on hills. The 4WD system won't.

Now that's also a by-product of the beefier off-road tires found on trucks, as well as the heavier weight of trucks versus SUVs. It is all those factors combined make a big difference. You can't just argue AWD vs 4WD without taking all the factors into consideration.

The drive modes help assist the driver by presetting the truck for different scenarios. It is a driving aid. You still have to do the driving and you still have manual control over the 4WD system as needed. Sure, if you think turning on a drive mode will magically make you a rock-crawling expert, be my guest. I'm sure somebody would love to film that and get it on camera. A lot of Cybertruck owners learned that lesson.

No 2WD ability shouldn't be surprising IMO. It is a purpose-built truck.

Ram has had an auto-4wd setup going back at least a decade if not longer. People want to say it causes extra wear or tear or destroys MPG. Ok. It's been a decade or longer and you rarely see people getting new transfer cases for one. For two, it is on 35" tires with a lifted suspension. Pretty sure that does a lot more to "destroy" MPG than the full-time 4WD. Besides, if you are concerned about MPG with the RHO, you are shopping for the wrong truck.
Thanks for the reply. I completely understand the difference in 4WD hi/lo and AWD. What I don't understand is how AWD is different than Auto4WD. In Auto4WD the user does not control which tires are engaged or where the torque goes, electronics do. The user has the ability to specify some parameters (via driver modes or traction control) but beyond that, the user has no control. I am totally ok with this system. I just don't understand how it's not equivalent to an AWD when AUTO4WD is used.
 
Thanks for the reply. I completely understand the difference in 4WD hi/lo and AWD. What I don't understand is how AWD is different than Auto4WD. In Auto4WD the user does not control which tires are engaged or where the torque goes, electronics do. The user has the ability to specify some parameters (via driver modes or traction control) but beyond that, the user has no control. I am totally ok with this system. I just don't understand how it's not equivalent to an AWD when AUTO4WD is used.
So AWD usually has a predetermined amount of power being distributed between the front and rear wheels. Sometimes it's 50:50...sometimes 60:40....70:30....etc., but it stays at that particular ratio at all times. It's my understanding with the Auto4WD system in the RHO that the ratio fluctuates based on wheelspin & traction. It's not always set to a certain ratio but rather adjusts as necessary (up to 70:30) based on which wheel is slipping to provide optimal traction.
 
So AWD usually has a predetermined amount of power being distributed between the front and rear wheels. Sometimes it's 50:50...sometimes 60:40....70:30....etc., but it stays at that particular ratio at all times. It's my understanding with the Auto4WD system in the RHO that the ratio fluctuates based on wheelspin & traction. It's not always set to a certain ratio but rather adjusts as necessary (up to 70:30) based on which wheel is slipping to provide optimal traction.
Thanks for reply. Yes, that is how I understand it to. BMW Xdrive has a very similar set up to RHO (with the exception of the ability to have 4WDHI/4WDLO). BMW's have a 40:60 bias, however just like the the RHO operating in AUTO4WD it will change bias automatically based on conditions and driver modes. Also important to not that not all AWD systems are the same, for example AUDI Quattro operates in a completely different manner.
 
I just don't understand how it's not equivalent to an AWD when AUTO4WD is used.
Just Devil's advocate here, but why does it matter? Are you going to sleep better if you feel like AWD = Auto4WD?
 
Just Devil's advocate here, but why does it matter? Are you going to sleep better if you feel like AWD = Auto4WD?

Learning things isn't a waste of time even if it doesn't change your daily life at all. What a goofy response.
 
Just Devil's advocate here, but why does it matter? Are you going to sleep better if you feel like AWD = Auto4WD?
It doesn't :) I went down the research rabbit hole because some friends were talking about how dumb it was that it didn't have 2WD. On the surface I agreed, but then when I looked at my current vehicle, BMW x5d tuned with 500+ ft lb torque that uses pretty much the exact same system I realized there is no issue. I just found it funny how people were so defensive about calling it AWD when operationally it's exactly like AWD, when it's operated in Auto4WD. To me it's potato/pototo, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something in the functionality that would differentiate them.
 
It doesn't :) I went down the research rabbit hole because some friends were talking about how dumb it was that it didn't have 2WD. On the surface I agreed, but then when I looked at my current vehicle, BMW x5d tuned with 500+ ft lb torque that uses pretty much the exact same system I realized there is no issue. I just found it funny how people were so defensive about calling it AWD when operationally it's exactly like AWD, when it's operated in Auto4WD. To me it's potato/pototo, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something in the functionality that would differentiate them.
In a sense it can almost be seen the same way the VW DSG transmission. Some years ago I had a 2008 VW R32...AWD Rabbit with the VR6 engine and DSG transmission. Anyone that didn't know much about the car would say "oh it's still an automatic transmission", to which the VW guys would always reply that it wasn't because it used dual clutch packs rather than a torque converter, thereby making it a manual transmission. It didn't matter HOW it functioned....just that it could be driven like an automatic.
 
My 2020 Ram had 2WD and Auto, and I put a lot of miles on both. Absolutely zero difference in MPG, and Auto doesn’t jump around when turning, which tells me it’s definitely not the same as full 4WD HI mode.

Auto definitely made a huge difference in wheel slip, though. I could spin tires in 2WD, especially in rain, and Auto simply didn’t let it happen.

I’m pretty pleased that RHO is full time Auto.
 
this is good to know, I had no idea our off-road truck actually has clutched system.. The AWD and 4WD is kinda misleading and it comes down to its definition. So RHO is AWD but has 4WD buttons, should probably say AWD auto lol. Same with the 4x4 in the back. It's not 4x4 as 4wd but 4x4 as four wheel drive. Definitely marketing stuff.

Had few Audi's when years ago. Both AWD by definition. One with 3 differentials. Second one with 2 and slip clutch (Haldex). Both called Quattro, even though the haldex one isn't really a quattro. But is used for marketing purposes. They still use the name for all transverse engine models.
 
this is good to know, I had no idea our off-road truck actually has clutched system.. The AWD and 4WD is kinda misleading and it comes down to its definition. So RHO is AWD but has 4WD buttons, should probably say AWD auto lol. Same with the 4x4 in the back. It's not 4x4 as 4wd but 4x4 as four wheel drive. Definitely marketing stuff.

Had few Audi's when years ago. Both AWD by definition. One with 3 differentials. Second one with 2 and slip clutch (Haldex). Both called Quattro, even though the haldex one isn't really a quattro. But is used for marketing purposes. They still use the name for all transverse engine models.
That’s incorrect. It’s both. When driving in auto4wd it functions like AWD but when you select 4WD hi or 4WD lo it is a tru locked 4WD system at least that’s how I understand it.
 
SOUTHWEST ROADTRIP May-April-June orders… who still isn’t scheduled? What did you do to your RHO Today? *** Post New RHO Photos Here *** What did you do to your RHO Today? If your vehicle hits production
SOUTHWEST ROADTRIP May-April-June orders… who still isn’t scheduled? What did you do to your RHO Today? *** Post New RHO Photos Here ***

Trending content

Back
Top