What's new

Base wheels

Well, I also deep-clean the wheelhouses about every other wash. I remove the wheels about once a month to clean & polish the barrels & brake calipers. It makes a huge difference.

Now, I did watch a guy detail his complete undercarriage on YouTube, including all the cross members & suspension pieces…OCD? Probably. I knew a guy who removed all his aluminum suspension components & polished them to a mirror shine. He said if the car saw any rain, it would take him 3 straight days to correct it. OCD? Definitely.
haha 3 days holy hell

I like the base wheels for one reason…

I’m a little fanatical about cleaning every nook & cranny on my vehicles. I even remove the license plate on occasion of clean behind it. That beadlock ring would definitely have to be removed to get the wheel properly clean. That’s a lot of bolts & fuss. I’m not into it, especially since I don’t foresee using that feature.

Fun story: In 2005, I traded a Honda S2000 for a new Ram 2500 CTD. My salesman pushed his manager on my trade value, as he was amazed the car looked so new. After the deal was done, to further mess with the sales manager, he bet $20 that when the S2000 plate was transferred to the Ram, the area under the plate would be as clean as the rest of the car. Whoops! He lost that bet. But since that day, I’ve made sure to remove my plates at least twice a year to clean/polish/seal the paint or chrome under it!
I think you’d be astounded by how easy it is to clean the bead lock wheels. I’ve always been a stickler for clean wheels, and have struggled with previous vehicles to keep them clean. But my bead locks rarely ever look dirty - even when the truck is filthy. And cleaning them is super easy with one of those doohickeys on a handle (for cleaning wheels) - you know what I’m talking about.
Not sure how else to describe it, but it really is the darnedest thing. No brake dust, no slung-on tar from the road. The most these wheels get is a fine haze of dirt.

I think you’d be astounded by how easy it is to clean the bead lock wheels. I’ve always been a stickler for clean wheels, and have struggled with previous vehicles to keep them clean. But my bead locks rarely ever look dirty - even when the truck is filthy. And cleaning them is super easy with one of those doohickeys on a handle (for cleaning wheels) - you know what I’m talking about.
Not sure how else to describe it, but it really is the darnedest thing. No brake dust, no slung-on tar from the road. The most these wheels get is a fine haze of dirt.
Can you post a picture of the “doohickeys”?

Lol
Too lazy to go downstairs and take a real picture, so here’s a similar one from the internet. Just stick it in the hole, rub it around a little, and give it a couple of quick in-and-outs. It’s very satisfying

1719543492667.png

If the bead locks were black I'd probably like them... not a fan. Will go aftermarket

If the bead locks were black I'd probably like them... not a fan. Will go aftermarket
Powder coat them. It’s actually pretty affordable - maybe $600. Cheaper than new wheels.

I’ve used various “doohickies” & they are ok. But nothing like removing the wheel for a perfect clean.

As for the beadlocks, I’m not concerned with cleaning the barrel. That’s no different than the base wheel. I’m talking about the little crevices between the beadlock ring & tire/wheel. I could be wrong, but seems like a great place for brake dust to collect. I DO like the look of the beadlocks, just don’t want the maintenance.

Powder coat them. It’s actually pretty affordable - maybe $600. Cheaper than new wheels.
It's definitely an option for some... but after ordering the bead locks then getting them powder coated it's more like 2k. I'd rather go aftermarket and not look like everyone else!

Back