What's new

EPA MPG ratings out

My understanding is that higher octane rating allows an engine to run safely under higher compression/load/etc.

MPG is a bonus, but I'd be concerned about the long-term stresses that running a lower octane rating might mean for engine longevity.

I'm not an engineer or expert but I guess what I'm trying to say that I will pay more for premium/93+ octane if it means that my engine will run better for longer & with less stress/wear/heat on components.

Just my $0.02
Yes I would definitely Not consider putting anything less than 91. If you want to roll with the big dogs at night you gotta soar with the eagles in the morning.

They actually have done multiple tests and found zero performance dropoffs from not running "recommended" premium.
On which one the Sierra 6.2 or the hurricane HO?

On which one the Sierra 6.2 or the hurricane HO?
The Sierra. A HO turbo engine definitely requires premium. The 6.2 NA from GM "recommends" premium but all tests have shown only a 1% HP loss and 7% MPG loss using regular instead of premium. There's a theoretical long term reliability argument to be made, but not enough data to know either way.

I've been putting premium in my raptor since taking ownership... just on the premise that I tow all the dang time. I average about 15mpg in that, so I expect almost no difference

The Sierra. A HO turbo engine definitely requires premium. The 6.2 NA from GM "recommends" premium but all tests have shown only a 1% HP loss and 7% MPG loss using regular instead of premium. There's a theoretical long term reliability argument to be made, but not enough data to know either way.
Today’s 93 octane price is approximately 3.49.9 a gallon so that 7% equates to 24 1/2 cents a gallon. 93 is only 30 cents more than 89 here so it almost pays for itself

Does the epa test the truck with the beadlocks or the standard wheels?. The weight difference seems significant, but do you think it actually makes a difference on overall MPG?

I really don’t think the EPA actually tests the vehicle. The EPA figures are different than the factory figures. Of course I’m betting we are all going to have a wide range and figures too. We all live in different places. We all have different driving styles. I have personally seen everything from 5.4 to 14.3 mpg average on a TRX. I’m in and out of dealerships all day long and I have a habit of asking the tech if I see a TRX on their left to punch up what the average fuel economy is on it. On our jeep JLUR my wife gets about 16 .2 . I get about 19.7. With 35 inch tires.

Today’s 93 octane price is approximately 3.49.9 a gallon so that 7% equates to 24 1/2 cents a gallon. 93 is only 30 cents more than 89 here so it almost pays for itself
Nice. Here it's like 3.49 vs 4.39 so not even close. Just depends where you are I guess.

Back