Is the RHO too big?

JPILL22

Founding Member ⚙️
Reaction score
Current Ride
22 Rivian R1S, 22 Mercedes GLS AMG pkg
Current Ride #2
12 Tundra SRS quad cab TRD off-road
Question anyone coming from a smaller pickup nervous the RHO will feel too big or wide?

Want to hear from those that went from a smaller pickup to a TRX or the like. Was this ever an issue?

Some old New England roads around here are kinda tight. Wifey is concerned as I am not the best driver, haha.

If it's anything like my Raptor was, it will take a little getting used to in parking lots. The 360 degree cameras makes parking really easy though.

If it's anything like my Raptor was, it will take a little getting used to in parking lots. The 360 degree cameras makes parking really easy though.
360° cameras only come on Level 1, right? Or is this standard on the RHO?

I came from a Tacoma to the TRX. Regular driving was no adjustment really. It’s just parking and tight maneuvers that have a learning curve. Especially with the flared front fenders that you can’t see in your mirrors or over the hood.

How's the turn radius on one of these? On the Tundra is sucked hard!

Not good, honestly. But we don't have these trucks for their parking capabilities.

Concur, but it's a PITA sometimes trying to park one of these in a restaurant parking lot, and my fat-ass likes to eat!

The only big challenge was drive-thru’s…best to avoid them until you are super comfortable with the width.

As for public parking, I usually park on end spots to minimize door ding potential & it’s pretty easy to line it up against any curb using the mirrors if you back into the spot.

For parking at home, make sure you have sufficient height and depth…might want to have a spotter for the 1st run & place a parking stone at the front tires once it’s in position.

Not when you park away from everyone

I went from a Colorado zr2 to my raptor... it felt really big for a few days, then you just get used to it!

I always park away from everyone, I don't mind the walk. It always amazes me, I'll park and have five empty parking spots all around me, front, back, and both sides, when I get back to my vehicle, someone felt like they had to park right next to me! And it's not someone with a nice vehicle, someone who takes care it, it's always a POS!.

I have a first gen Tacoma. I randomly drive my friend's new gen Tundra, and its a weird experience for sure. But, with the advent of all kinds of cameras plus some good old fashioned practice I'm sure I will get used to it. Especially with the monthly car note, I for damn sure will get used to it

The only big challenge was drive-thru’s…best to avoid them until you are super comfortable with the width.

As for public parking, I usually park on end spots to minimize door ding potential & it’s pretty easy to line it up against any curb using the mirrors if you back into the spot.

For parking at home, make sure you have sufficient height and depth…might want to have a spotter for the 1st run & place a parking stone at the front tires once it’s in position.
Agreed - you have to back in (if you want to see your wheels in relation to the curb). The side cameras SUCK for helping with front-wheel placement. Ram didn't adjust the cameras differently for the wide wheel base, so it effectively renders a worthless view when pulling forward against a curb. You can only see what you already did, not what you're about to do.

Here's an old picture I took that kinda shows what I'm talking about. As you're pulling forward, you can't see the curb ahead because the wide fender is in the way.

1724941025634.png

If they had only placed the cameras a little further outboard on the exterior mirrors, we could have had a view like this:

1724941121299.png

I always park away from everyone, I don't mind the walk. It always amazes me, I'll park and have five empty parking spots all around me, front, back, and both sides, when I get back to my vehicle, someone felt like they had to park right next to me! And it's not someone with a nice vehicle, someone who takes care it, it's always a POS!.
haha this every time I can't explain it

Just watch out when you go through the bank drive through and set every sensor off trying to get to the widow... and enjoy running over all the curbs at Starbucks!

It's not too bad but parking can be a b... Plus most garages in my city 6'6-6'8 so that don't help at all.

Brother had the 21' TRX and now has the 24' TRX (which I've driven a lot) and our great friend has a 24' Raptor R (which I have also driven a few times). The TRX turns a LOT better than the Raptor R. We have had to maneuver around some really tight areas in TN with both trucks pulling boats and some of the 180-degree hairpin turns with steep incline/declines. I have not once had an issue making a pretty snug u-turn with the TRX, but our buddy has had to throw his in reverse to make the same turns. The RHO should have the same geometry as the TRX. I always back in my vehicles when parking, and the TRX has not needed a multiple attempt to get it turned in. But yes, its snug due to its 8' girth. TRX is pretty easy to drive IMHO, and therefor the RHO should be too. Just park it out and away when you can as it is wide.

BTW, for towing the boats (or equivalent), we put airbag in the coils. Their off-road suspensions really wants to squat under that much load if you don't.

Last edited:
Agreed - you have to back in (if you want to see your wheels in relation to the curb). The side cameras SUCK for helping with front-wheel placement. Ram didn't adjust the cameras differently for the wide wheel base, so it effectively renders a worthless view when pulling forward against a curb. You can only see what you already did, not what you're about to do.

Here's an old picture I took that kinda shows what I'm talking about. As you're pulling forward, you can't see the curb ahead because the wide fender is in the way.

View attachment 500

If they had only placed the cameras a little further outboard on the exterior mirrors, we could have had a view like this:

View attachment 501
Quite the oversight on Ram's part. I ordered the Tow mirrors and now am wondering if this camera location has been pushed outwards a little due to the different (larger) mirror, which could maybe help. Thanks for sending these pics.

I came from a Tacoma to the TRX. Regular driving was no adjustment really. It’s just parking and tight maneuvers that have a learning curve. Especially with the flared front fenders that you can’t see in your mirrors or over the hood.
Hopefully coming from a Tundra it wont be so bad. I saw a TRX in the wild yesterday and it kinda scared me, haha.

Back