What's new

Thoughts on theft

So I have had a good laugh on the TRX forums which love to crap on the RHO (Got to justify paying dealer markups somehow). They say the RHO won't be stolen because it doesn't have a hellcat. Well there are tons of car theft rings out there And ones that specifically target Kia's and Hyundai's. So if thieves only want to steal because of a hellcat, and thieves want to steal Kia's and Hyundai's. Then by the transitive properties, a kia has a hellcat or a TRX is worth as much as an Elantra.

People steal what is easy to steal. Yeah the hellcat is a tasty target but if Ram hasn't addressed the underlying ease of theft, the RHO will still be a target. I am hoping the news of a new CANBUS system is an attempt to address it.

Oh, it’s a thing. Smash the slider, wriggle through, program a key, and they’re gone.
The advantage with going through the rear window is that the police don’t notice it as easily when they’re driving it around town later.

Thread 'Theft attempt…. (Saved by IGLA) *Southern California *'
https://www.ram-trx.com/threads/theft-attempt…-saved-by-igla-southern-california.21198/
You just love ruining my weekends

That settles it, I'm gonna install my bear deterrent system in my truck...just gotta not forget about it or I'll be the one getting the nifty surprise. Oh! and warn the wife about the Thief/Wife deterrent ;)

You just love ruining my weekends
IMG_2973.jpeg

Has anyone used the Ravelco on a TRX?

Yes. I have Ravelco on mine, but later added IGLA and Compustar.
I'm new to all these systems. What does the IGLA and Compustar do that the Revelco does not?

I'm new to all these systems. What does the IGLA and Compustar do that the Revelco does not?
The following information is based on an insane level of deep diving on TRX and other vehicle forums, as I have no firsthand experience with any of them but also wanted to make an informed decision on my truck. With all that said, here goes a summarized brain dump ;)

Revelco is useless. Their claim of not being defeated is out of date or just marketing propaganda. There are youtube videos showing how easy it is to defeat and more than a few TRX owners that have had their truck stolen with Revelco installed. Adding salt to injury, Revelco doesn't seem to respond to the people that have had their vehicles stolen, instead they seem to go full ostrich.

The two dominant ignition immobilizers and anti-key programming options seem to be IGLA and Ampire. I haven't heard if either of them are compatible with the 2025 CANBUS though.

Compustar is an alarm with several variations. It is not immobilizer but if you purchase their highest end model and monthly service contract then you get location data similar to Lojack (used them lots). Their highest end model also gives you a FOB similar to the old Viper alarms that tell you which sensor has been tripped.

The consensus from those in the know seems to be combining an immobilizer with alarm for best of both worlds. Previously I had always opted for top tier Viper with no audible siren and lojack. Never had a vehicle stolen, only broken into to try and remove performance mods and stereo. None of the criminal masterminds were ever successful and were defeated by 3m double stick tape ;) All that is to stay, from all the videos and information I've read, it seems that the situation is everchanging and thieves have upped their game considerably.

Some things to consider: IGLA and AMPIRE have vehicle start up sequences that run and then you enter your code before you can drive off. If you like to just hop in, start and roll away then this might be worth evaluating security/inconvenience. Not unlike protecting a phone, home network or computer. The more security, the more inconvenience.

I hope that helps.

The following information is based on an insane level of deep diving on TRX and other vehicle forums, as I have no firsthand experience with any of them but also wanted to make an informed decision on my truck. With all that said, here goes a summarized brain dump ;)

Revelco is useless. Their claim of not being defeated is out of date or just marketing propaganda. There are youtube videos showing how easy it is to defeat and more than a few TRX owners that have had their truck stolen with Revelco installed. Adding salt to injury, Revelco doesn't seem to respond to the people that have had their vehicles stolen, instead they seem to go full ostrich.

The two dominant ignition immobilizers and anti-key programming options seem to be IGLA and Ampire. I haven't heard if either of them are compatible with the 2025 CANBUS though.

Compustar is an alarm with several variations. It is not immobilizer but if you purchase their highest end model and monthly service contract then you get location data similar to Lojack (used them lots). Their highest end model also gives you a FOB similar to the old Viper alarms that tell you which sensor has been tripped.

The consensus from those in the know seems to be combining an immobilizer with alarm for best of both worlds. Previously I had always opted for top tier Viper with no audible siren and lojack. Never had a vehicle stolen, only broken into to try and remove performance mods and stereo. None of the criminal masterminds were ever successful and were defeated by 3m double stick tape ;) All that is to stay, from all the videos and information I've read, it seems that the situation is everchanging and thieves have upped their game considerably.

Some things to consider: IGLA and AMPIRE have vehicle start up sequences that run and then you enter your code before you can drive off. If you like to just hop in, start and roll away then this might be worth evaluating security/inconvenience. Not unlike protecting a phone, home network or computer. The more security, the more inconvenience.

I hope that helps.
This is immensely helpful. I went on a little research binge on the IGLA system a few days ago. Not sure how much the inconvenience of inputting a code would irritate me. The biggest thing for me is being able to retain remote start. Also, im sure nobody knows yet but how would IGLA or Ampire effect the new "Smartphone as a key" feature? Should be interesting to see.

This is immensely helpful. I went on a little research binge on the IGLA system a few days ago. Not sure how much the inconvenience of inputting a code would irritate me. The biggest thing for me is being able to retain remote start. Also, im sure nobody knows yet but how would IGLA or Ampire effect the new "Smartphone as a key" feature? Should be interesting to see.
There are scenarios where I can see the start-up procedure being problematic but for everyday driving it wouldn't be an issue for me either. I too am hoping the phone as a key works. Trying to shed as much pocket clutter as I can these days.

So lvl one looks to see if you’re looking forward and paying attention to the road. I guessing there must be a camera. What if they had facial recognition software like my phone does? Would be a nice extra level of security that Stellantis could easily add. Might have to have the pass code option as a secondary back up for “bad hair days”. And the ability to put it in valet mode for service.

Back