What's new

Vehicle Security

yoda33073

Founding Member ⚙️
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 Ram 1500 Built to Serve
What's everyone doing for vehicle security? I was sold on IGLA with Compustar T13 and a kill switch but I saw a few threads on the TRX forum that say it's a pain when it comes to servicing your truck. What are other options are out there? I am looking for recommendations. Thanks.

I have heard people talk about the ease of breaking into Dodge/Ram. The truth of the matter is, if they want your vehicle, they are going to find a way to get into it. With that being said, I am just going to have really good insurance and hope they total it. (Also, in no way am I trying to be forum warrior or ass with my comment)

What's everyone doing for vehicle security? I was sold on IGLA with Compustar T13 and a kill switch but I saw a few threads on the TRX forum that say it's a pain when it comes to servicing your truck. What are other options are out there? I am looking for recommendations. Thanks.
I like 5.56 but sometimes a 9mm would do the job too. Also, staying away from South Florida is key.

I have heard people talk about the ease of breaking into Dodge/Ram. The truth of the matter is, if they want your vehicle, they are going to find a way to get into it. With that being said, I am just going to have really good insurance and hope they total it. (Also, in no way am I trying to be forum warrior or ass with my comment)
Sure, thieves will get into it if they want. But stealing it is another thing. IGLA and Compustar is the absolute best solution that I’ve seen, and I pay a lot of attention to these matters.
I don’t want to start a big argument, but I absolutely detest the mindset of “let them steal it, that’s what insurance is for”. The community collectively pays higher insurance premiums because of that attitude. And if enough of them are stolen, we will find ourselves in the same shoes as the Kia/Hyundai owners who can’t get insurance for their vehicles anymore.

IGLA for sure! We have to confirm if it works with the 2025 model

Sure, thieves will get into it if they want. But stealing it is another thing. IGLA and Compustar is the absolute best solution that I’ve seen, and I pay a lot of attention to these matters.
I don’t want to start a big argument, but I absolutely detest the mindset of “let them steal it, that’s what insurance is for”. The community collectively pays higher insurance premiums because of that attitude. And if enough of them are stolen, we will find ourselves in the same shoes as the Kia/Hyundai owners who can’t get insurance for their vehicles anymore.
I definitely don't want it stolen, lol. I think guys are half serious. I was just wondering if anyone had any other security recommendations other than IGLA and Compustar.

Educate me, why is Hyundai / Kia insurance so high?

Educate me, why is Hyundai / Kia insurance so high?
Because Hyundai/Kia have designed them to be easy to steal. Ram is doing the same.

The guy in this thread seems to think that's the owner's problem to fix with extensive aftermarket solutions and that using the insurance you pay every month for exactly this type of thing is somehow the wrong thing to do.

If people can't insure the vehicles, people will stop buying them. This is the manufacturers problem.

Out of curiosity what makes a ram easier to steal vs. any other modern truck? My take was that high end ram/dodge/hellcat/TRX are highly sought after and valuable so they are more of a target for thieves in bigger cities and therefore get targeted and stolen more. Happy i live in Montana and don't have to worry as much but as the State grows i do not want it to be a problem! I do use a faraday bag for the keyfobs when im in bigger cities in the state like Missoula, Billings and Bozeman.

Because Hyundai/Kia have designed them to be easy to steal. Ram is doing the same.

The guy in this thread seems to think that's the owner's problem to fix with extensive aftermarket solutions and that using the insurance you pay every month for exactly this type of thing is somehow the wrong thing to do.

If people can't insure the vehicles, people will stop buying them. This is the manufacturers problem.
I assume the “guy in this thread” refers to me. Let me ask you a question. At your home, do you rely solely on the front door lock that was installed by the builder, or do you take extra measures to protect it (such as changing locks, a home alarm system, video cameras, etc)? Most reasonable people would say that it is foolish to rely on homeowners insurance and a deadbolt as your sole source of home security. I’m making the exact same case with a vehicle. No more, no less.

Out of curiosity what makes a ram easier to steal vs. any other modern truck?
The jury is still out on 2025’s. But I know for a fact that anyone can steal a 2019-2024 Ram truck with a cheap Amazon blank key fob, and a laptop with cheap software (such as Jscan).
Break a window, hook up the laptop to the computer, add a key via Jscan, and drive away. It’s so easy a caveman could do it.

I'm going to install an upgraded security system, but I have an acre of land with a 7 foot PVC privacy fence around most of the back yard.

In the back, there's about 40 feet between the PVC fence and the chain link border fence

If things look dicey leaving her in the driveway, I'll just put her in the back yard.

I thought it was a legitimate question, but I should have known better from Facebook forums. Lol. I am going IGLA and Compustar. Thanks.

Did someone say M134 mini-gun.........

I thought it was a legitimate question, but I should have known better from Facebook forums. Lol. I am going IGLA and Compustar. Thanks.
Absolutely legitimate question.
To answer it: there are a couple of ways to take it for service, with varying degrees of security (I’m talking about IGLA).
Put the disabling IGLA fob on your Ram fob when you go in. Effectively makes it such that the device doesn’t exist. And also provides zero security while at the dealer.
Put it in service mode, which provides partial security, but can also create headaches with the techs. This is the one most people complain about.
Or create a new PIN and tell the tech how to use it. When you get your truck back, reset the PIN to your old one. This is about as secure as it gets, unless the tech is a thief.

There are other methods out there to prevent theft. Ravelco is an old school system (which is also installed on my truck). But it can be defeated fairly easily if the thief is educated.

Insurance premiums are through the roof because of this mentality. Yes, insurance is necessary to protect ones stolen or damaged property BUT that doesn't mean it should hill you die on either. Law enforcement apathy, lack of knowledge, cost of aftermarket products, and on and on all add to a problem that is systemic across the Americas but has been made far easier by third party software, as @Eighty highlighted. I was going to keep my old Hyundai for daily driver but like you mention, it is unrealistic to keep due to inability to insure them, so I DO agree with where you are coming from but I would argue that what Stellantis has done is not akin to Hyundai/Kia as they didn't purposely leave vulnerabilities and hide it from the public. Making a vehicle that is impervious to third party (largely Chinese and Russian) software is a whole other issue that is not something that vehicle manufacturers across all companies have really been able to fully get a handle on, with only a handful focusing solely on that segment of their sector.

To Eighty's point, it really comes down to personal responsibility and perspective. If you solely believe that law enforcement could save you from a home invasion, then we probably wouldn't have so many detectives or hold times on 911. You're going to do you, but I think @Eighty has had his fill of the "never thought it would happen to me"s that crowd the TRX board. Whether the 2025's stay impervious to such intrusions, will really come down to time. I already have 2025 key reprogramming on my Shop Scan Tool. As such I will be doing an Igla and some sort of newfangled alarm, without subscription.

All that is to say, that if someone stole means of transportation (i.e. horse) 130 years or so back, that was a death sentence. I don't much believe in capital punishment in general, but I think we'd have a lot less vehicle thefts if the thieves didn't have fingers to type on the software ;)

I’m planning on going with an IGLA and t13 assuming compatibility. The absolute annoyance of going through insurance to deal with a stolen vehicle sucks . My wife’s car got stolen during the pandemic and it was the biggest fluster cluck ever. Even after paying off the balance on the stolen car we ended up going to collections because the finance company claimed we owed them for it…2 years after the fact . Absolute headache .

Plus I just don’t want people touching my stuff. I waste money on a lot of stuff what’s a couple grand for a sense of security

I had compustar/drone mobile on my last car. I’ll put in on the RHO quickly after I get it.

I had compustar/drone mobile on my last car. I’ll put in on the RHO quickly after I get it.
I'm looking into getting this system as well. Is there a monthly service fee for the features?

Back