What's new

Vinyl Wraps vs PPF (or both?)

Brian

Founding Member ⚙️
Reaction score
Current Ride
2015 Hyundai Genesis
I fell in love with this color scheme, so I think I'm going to get a vinyl wrap. Does anyone have any advice on wrap PLUS PPF? Does anyone do both?

twin-turbo-2025-ram-1500-rho-gets-an-unofficial-reveal-based-on-the-first-teaser_10.jpg

I kind of want the orange from the last edition trx. But this blue combo with the black looks very nice as well

Gloss PPF and or ceramic coat over Hydro blue would be pretty close I think

So PPF will almost always be more durable than vinyl. Luckily companies like XPEL now offer colored PPF where you can decide both the color and the finish (glossy vs satin). Worth a shot to go to your local shop and find out what the best options for you might be. Also, just make sure you know you are looking at $6500 to upwards of $8000 for the good stuff from a good installer.

Has anyone heard of Kavaca PPF? The local wrap company here in TN uses that particular brand. I’m used to hearing XPEL.

Just spoke to my local wrap installer. He said that with current advancements with wraps and PPF, all companies are basically the same. I didn't know that PPF was 8 mil thick vs Vinyl being 4 mil thick. Personally, I am going to go with the PPF in Satin over black.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard of Kavaca PPF? The local wrap company here in TN uses that particular brand. I’m used to hearing XPEL.

Just spoke to my local wrap installer. He said that with current advancements with wraps and PPF, all companies are basically the same. I didn't know that PPF was 8 mil thick vs Vinyl being 4 mil thick. Personally, I am going to go with the PPF in Satin over black.
Did they give you a quote?

Never heard of Kavaca. I've used XPEL on my previous three vehicles and can attest its a great product. The self-healing qualities are great and it really does protect the paint underneath. On my latest BMW X5M Comp, it is a gloss black paint. I Wrapped the entire car in XPEL PPF Stealth giving the car a matte finish. Look awesome! I spoke to my shop this weekend and he's saying a TRX/RHO full wrap in XPEL PPF will run around $8 to $9K. He has done a number of TRX's and in his words, "they are HUGE and take alot of time and material to complete". He did note that while the RHO and TRX look very similar, that the template for the RHO from XPEL hasn't been created yet. It will likely be a week or two from when XPEL gets their hands on one before they will publish the template so shops can start cutting the PPF. He added that he could probably use the TRX template and he'd be fine, but didn't want to guarantee perfect fitment until XPEL certified the template for the RHO. On a side note, he did say a bunch of TRX owners have started doing LineX (bed spray) on the fender flares, bumpers, and rocker panels, and then PPF all of the painted areas (except door lowers where black paint is used, that gets LineX also) and it really looks nice. I found a sample of it on the TRX forum and can share the pics if you'd like.

Here is a Billet Silver TRX with the Satin PPF (plus some Gloss black misc items).

Yes they did, $6,500 for a full wrap. He had a TRX that he did a full vinyl wrap at the shop that he showed me. He went above and beyond what I thought was good. Not to mention that he showed me the trouble areas with the truck and wanted to make sure I understood that there are areas were there is potential for pulling. He earned my business with his professionalism and willingness to make sure I understood the whole process.

Yes they did, $6,500 for a full wrap. He had a TRX that he did a full vinyl wrap at the shop that he showed me. He went above and beyond what I thought was good. Not to mention that he showed me the trouble areas with the truck and wanted to make sure I understood that there are areas were there is potential for pulling. He earned my business with his professionalism and willingness to make sure I understood the whole process.
Great price! Vinyl wrap or PPF?

Good afternoon, in what city do you live or can you give the name and address of the workshop where you went, I would like to do it in a place where someone has had an experience

Good afternoon, in what city do you live or can you give the name and address of the workshop where you went, I would like to do it in a place where someone has had an experience
I live in Clarksville, TN. The company is CWrapsTN

I'll be colormatching the entire outside (fenders, mirrors, bumpers etc).

If your going to be off-roading I'd recommend some armor wrap like:

Avery Dennison SW900 Rugged Wrap

That wrap does a few things, it is thicker than standard wraps, plus it has a texture that helps fight off scratches and will punish any would be door dingers

I watched a video of this earlier today good stuff

Back